How to Extend the Life of your Computer
Here’s a little secret: Computers aren’t free, or even inexpensive. Getting the maximum lifespan from your computer is a great way to avoid an unnecessary expense. Like most other devices there are many simple things you can do to lessen the likelihood of your computer failing prematurely.
- Don’t turn your computer on and off unnecessarily. Some people feel the need to power down several times a day. You don’t have to go weeks without turning off your computer, but frequent heating and cooling cycles can shorten component life. The key here is balance. Don’t restart too much and don’t leave on too long either. I turn my off every other day or so the computer can load updates and fix file errors correctly.
- Blow out the fan vents regularly. A lot of air moves through those vents, and dust tends to build up over time. Keep the internal components cool is imperative to extending the life of your computer. Ideally, the dust shouldn’t be blown back into the computer. Taking it apart is the best method. If you’re not comfortable doing this, we include it as part of our computer repair service.
- Use laptops on a hard surface. Using your computer on a firm surface will keep the air vents unobstructed. Using a laptop on your lap or on a pillow would be a poor choice. Your lap generates heat and is soft. A pillow is soft and highly insulative. A firm table, out of the sun, is the best bet.
- Use a surge protector. Many CPU problems can be possibly avoided with the use of an inexpensive surge protector. Unplugging during a storm or power outage is the best practice, but if that’s not possible, a surge protector can help.
- Get a regular tune up. Taking your computer into a qualified computer repair specialist is a great way to increase the longevity of your computer. They have the specialized software tools and experience to find potential problems quickly and easily. You probably take your car in for a tune-up on a regular basis. Your computer would be well-served by the same.
- Avoid eating and drinking while using your computer. Getting food or water down into your system can create all kinds of potential problems. Water and electronics never mix well. At the very least, blow out your keyboard with a can of compressed air regularly.
- Use in a cool environment. Computer components hate heat. If possible, use your computer in a cool place. A 95-degree summer day isn’t the time to be using your laptop outdoors. The cooler, the better.
- Use a good anti-malware program and keep it updated. Malware can cause all types of problems. With a quality anti-malware program, you’ll be able to keep a lot of potential issues at bay. Staying updated is important. There are thousands of malware programs released each day. If you do get infected, our malware cleaning service can get you back in action!
With a few simple actions, you can be assured of getting the maximum amount of utility from it before needing a replacement.
Technology Made Simple
Northern Hills Technology provides a wide range of Computer and Network support services ranging from consulting and design to installation and repair. Offering services to both Businesses and Residential customers, we can meet your need - no matter the size or complexity! Read More